Annual Letter from our President
As Giving Tuesday approaches on December 1, 2020, we at Aidan’s Heart are asking for your financial support in preventing the loss of another young life from Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA). SCA is currently the #1 cause of death among student athletes on school campuses and typically occurs during physical exertion.
The American Heart Association quotes more than 356,000 out-of-hospital cardiac arrests annually, most often occurring without warning. One in 300 youth have an underlying heart defect that is undetected and could lead to SCA. SCA leads to death in minutes if the person does not get help right away. Survival depends on people nearby calling 911, starting CPR, and using an AED (if available) as soon as possible.
In addition to providing AEDs, we also teach life-saving CPR/AED skills to thousands of students, parents & coaches every year as well as free heart-screenings to kids ages 5-18.
Aidan’s Heart Foundation (AHF) was founded in 2011, following the sudden death of Christy Silva’s oldest child, Aidan Silva. We officially became a 501(c)(3) in 2013. Aidan had no history of heart issues until his heart suddenly stopped on the afternoon of September 4, 2010. Christy courageously set out with a purpose to prevent another family from experiencing the unthinkable tragedy of losing a child to SCA. She co-founded Aidan’s Heart in 2011 with a mission to create heart-safe communities for youth through protection, prevention and education that supports the communities of Southeastern Pennsylvania region.
Since its inception in 2011, AHF has promoted heart-safe communities in the following ways
- Facilitated the placement of 100+ AEDs in locations within communities where youth are physically active
- Provided free community heart screenings to 2,100 kids and teens, identifying potentially life-threatening heart issues in approximately 1 out of every 100 children screened
- Trained 6,600 youth and 550 coaches/parents on how to perform CPR and how to use an AED to save someone’s life and created a “Heart Heroes” program where students who become CPR/AED certified train other students in life-saving CPR/AED skills
With your tax-deductible donation, you can help us ensure that our communities are heart-safe and have a direct impact on the youth who may be at risk for this preventable tragedy. Your generous support is crucial to our efforts to ensure no other child loses his or her life to SCA.
How Your Donations Help Fight SCA from Taking Another Young Life
- $1,000 – AED for a school or a youth-based athletic facility or organization
- $500 – CPR + AED training for five high school students to become certified “Save a Life Ambassadors”
- $170 – Replacement Battery for an AED (4-year shelf life)
- $110 – Replacement AED Pediatric pads (2-year shelf life)
- $100 – EKG exam for a child aged 5-19
- $70 – Replacement AED Adult pads (2-year shelf life)
- $50 – Wall-mounted cabinet to house an AED in a school or facility
- $25 – Ready kit (scissors, razor, mouth mask) to accompany an AED unit
Please consider making a tax-deductible donation via Facebook.
Another option to make a donation on our website, here.
Alternately, checks can be mailed directly to:
Aidan’s Heart Foundation
P.O. Box 72258
Thorndale, PA 19372
We have proudly earned the Gold Seal for Transparency within GuideStar’s non-profit rankings and the 2020 Top-Rated Nonprofit badge from Greatnonprofits.org. We are also a proud member of Parent Heart Watch and the Chester County Chamber of Commerce.
Any donation of $50 or more will receive a custom Pura Vida bracelet designed by the students at the Marsh Creek Sixth Grade Center in Downingtown, PA.
We thank you for your contribution and wish you a wonderful, safe holiday season.
Christy Silva, President
Aidan’s Heart Foundation